A scientific outreach website built on WordPress with a custom theme, including hierarchical pages, blog posts, image galleries, FAQs, quizzes and an ‘ask a scientist’ section.
A scientific outreach website built on WordPress with a custom theme, including latest news, blog posts, PDF newsletters and a members area.
Malacological Society of London
A WordPress website built as a child theme of Twenty Thirteen. Uses custom post types with custom fields to allow new journal publications to be easily added.
An ecommerce WordPress site built with WooCommerce and a child theme of Woo Canvas.
European Malacological Congress
A website to promote and take registrations for the conference, built on WordPress.
A WordPress site built around the Twenty Sixteen theme.
Reading Canoe Club
A WordPress website built as a child theme of Twenty Thirteen. Using WordPress multi-site to allow easy setup of micro sites for specific events.
A business website. Built on WordPress with a custom theme with translations in 10 different languages. (Development work for Lockside Software.)
An online calculation tool for the luminescence dating lab at Aberystwyth University, written in PHP with tests in PHPUnit and Selenium.
This includes building custom themes, integration of sliders and carousels, integration of a lightbox to display large product images, fragment caching to improve load times, loading in recently viewed products via ajax to allow page caching, integration with paypal and stripe, updating sock levels and prices from XML feeds, integration of blog posts, display tweets, generate XML feed for google shopping, integrate meta tags for Facebook OpenGraph and Twitter Cards, customisations to the search queries (including match all search terms instead of match any) and product filtering, streamline checkout pages (to eliminate distractions from the header and footer), display icons for product properties, allow flagging of products with a noindex meta tag until manufactures descriptions have been re-written, conversion tracking with Google Analytics.
Python & Django
A Django CMS website built around integrating a suite of Matlab tools for plotting and analysing cosmogenic-nuclide surface-exposure data. All content is editable through the CMS. The Matlab tools were supplied as Python modules which are imported and run as background tasks with the Matlab runtime.
Software Businesses and Agencies
Lockside Software Ltd
I have worked on a number of projects for Lockside Software, including:
- Ruby-on-Rails Projects: Geni-Sys, Stream Networks Portal, Leyton Lighting, ELD Lighting, Wattlite
- Ruby-on-Rails Technologies: Rails 5.2, EmberJS 2.18, SQL, DelayedJob, Faye, Spree 3.7
- WordPress Projects: Genalog (WooCommerce, custom product CSV import, Storefront child theme with custom product listing), Newbury Today (Updates and performance optimisations), Tyre Awareness, Stream Networks, Drive Right (Multi-language), Leyton Lighting
- Other Projects: Updates to bespoke PHP projects, custom PHP code, bhpBMS, Cacti, Horizon (OpenStack) dashboard customisation (Python), 4D code
- System Administration: LAMP hosting (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), Rails hosting (Nginx, Puma/Unicorn, PostgreSQL), Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3)
- 3rd Party API Integration: Bigcommerce (JSON), Spree (JSON), TalkTalk (SOAP), Voxility (JSON), Venus (JSON), Virtua1 (SOAP), Vodafone (XML), Daisy (XML).
I worked on a number of projects for Forever Creative Marketing Agency. This included doing development work on the front end and back end of Ruby-on-Rails websites. Also building HTML newsletters from a graphic designer’s PSD files to be sent via Campaign Monitor.
Forty Two Ltd
I worked as part of a team developing the functionality behind YourTradeBase.com, an online tool aimed at helping tradespeople with their paperwork. Written in Ruby-on-Rails, I was mainly involved in developing the back end functionality in Ruby. This was driven by Cucumber scenarios and implemented via Capybara, supported with RSpec tests. Some of the features I have worked on include: dashboard summaries, account management, automated emails, invoices & estimate paperwork, price lists, jobs, tasks, help tab, and live chat integration.